Location & History

Where is Tweed Heads?

 

Tweed Heads is found on the New South Wales and Queensland coastal border.

St Joseph’s Primary Tweed Heads is the TOP catholic school in New South Wales.

 

 

 

School History

St. Joseph’s School had its beginning in 1917. It was established by the Ursuline Sisters.

In 1952, when the Ursuline Sisters were withdrawn, the Lismore Presentation Sisters answered an invitation from the Bishop and the Parish Priest to continue the great work already begun. In the years that followed, the growth of the Tweed population resulted in the continued growth of the school

At the conclusion of 1987 the Presentation Sisters withdrew their principalship of St. Joseph’s School. It is now under the leadership of a Lay Principal but the Presentation Sisters continue to live and work in the Parish.

 

 

In 1993, Stage 1 of the new ParishPrimary School, St. James, Banora Point, was completed and years 5 and 6 relocated to that site. From the commencement of 1994 St. James operated as a separately registered school, catering in 1994 for years 4, 5 and 6. In 1994 St. Joseph’s Tweed Heads, continued to provide Catholic education for Kindergarten to Year 3 children.

Because of increased demand for places in our Catholic Primary Schools, a decision was made to establish two Primary Schools in the Parish. In 1995,St. Joseph’s Primary School catered for kindergarten to year 4. Year 5 was added in 1996 and Year 6 in 1997 thus completing the transition back to a Kindergarten to Year 6 school.

During the 2001/2002 school years, major restoration and renovations were undertaken by the Parish to upgrade the Library and Administrative areas. The Library which was the original school building was rededicated in May 2002 by the new Bishop of Lismore Bishop Geoffrey Jarrett. In 2003 a major refurbishment of primary classrooms was undertaken along with the resurfacing of the school playground. In 2004 the final stage of refurbishment of the school’s exterior was completed with the painting of the main building.

The students of St. Joseph’s are drawn from a wide area – Coolangatta, Tweed Central, South and West Tweed Heads, Bilambil Heights, Carool, Piggabeen, Terranora, Banora Point, Fingal and other Queensland areas.